[olug] New to OLUG

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Feb 28 07:20:21 UTC 2003

At Thu, 27 Feb 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Jay Swackhamer, said:
> Isnt Elkhorn just the western end of Omaha now?

Yep, it is.  In fact, in the areas around Dodge and Pacific street,
there is barely any "space" between Western Omaha and Elkhorn.  They're
starting to run together.

> Soon, you too, will be brought into the collective......tax base......

This is actually very true.  It's been mentioned a couple of times in
the news that within the next year or so, there will likely be a
proposal before the Omaha city council to Annex Elkhorn.

I have two friends in Elkhorn who have very mixed opinions on it.  One
of them used to live in Omaha, and is looking forward to Elkhorn
becoming a part of Omaha.  The other one is strongly against it.  In
fact, there are a number of people in Elkhorn that are fighting against
this happening.

Thing is, there's a law that states that Omaha can annex townships of
under 10k inhabitants *without* their consent.  As of right now, Elkhorn
is still a good bit below that, and their projected growth doesn't have
them passing it for another 5 years.  From what I've heard, most people
think it'll be part of Omaha, by then.