[olug] missing C standard library?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Feb 27 23:28:04 UTC 2003

see below, dpkg -S wouldn't help...

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:12:30 -0600
Christopher Cashell <topher at zyp.org> wrote:

|The package you need is libc6-dev.
|
|Here's a little trick that you can use on Debian, if you know the name
|of a particular file you are looking for, but don't know what package it
|is in.  For example, above you know you're looking for certain header
|files.  You could do: 'dpkg -S "stdlib.h" '.  That would list every
|occurrence of 'stdlib.h' in all Debian packages.  If you did it, you'd
|get a list of a dozen or two results[1], and a quick glance would show
|this: libc6-dev: /usr/include/stdlib.h, somewhere in the list.
|
|>   Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
|
|[1] nexus:~$ dpkg -S 'stdlib.h'
|    cmix: /usr/share/cmix/shadow/stdlib.h
|    tendra: /usr/lib/TenDRA/lib/include/ansi.api/stdlib.h
|    cint: /usr/lib/cint/include/stdlib.h
|    libfreetype6-dev: /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftstdlib.h
|    perl-tk: /usr/lib/perl5/Tk/pTk/compat/stdlib.h
|    libstlport4.5-common: /usr/include/stlport/stdlib.h
|    libstdc++3-dev: /usr/include/g++-v3/bits/std_cstdlib.h
|    tendra: /usr/lib/TenDRA/lib/include/iso.api/stdlib.h
|    splint: /usr/share/splint/lib/stdlib.h
|    tendra: /usr/lib/TenDRA/lib/include/cpp.api/stdlib.h
|    tendra: /usr/lib/TenDRA/lib/include/svid3.api/stdlib.h
|    tendra: /usr/lib/TenDRA/lib/include/xpg3.api/stdlib.h
|    libc6-dev: /usr/include/stdlib.h

I thought that I tried the dpkg -S option, but perhaps not with the
quotes.  It seems it only searches through packages that are insatlled....
I did not have libc6-dev installed, so it apprently would not have
returned it, kinda defeats my purpose. =)

dpkg -S | --search filename-search-pattern ...
              Search  for a filename from installed packages. All standard
shell wild­              chars can be used in the pattern.

my output:

bwiese at franklin:~/tmp/opera2net$ dpkg -S stdio.h
perl: /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/CORE/nostdio.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/stdio.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/bits/stdio.h

bwiese at franklin:~/tmp/opera2net$ dpkg -S "stdlib.h"
libc6-dev: /usr/include/stdlib.h

peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart