[olug] Installing software under /usr/local

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Thu Feb 27 15:31:57 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 05:06 pm, Jonathan Warren wrote:

> Check install is awesome and i use it to install in /opt/appname.
> The only problem is the way that slackware upgradepkg works you may
> upgrade a newer package with an older one.  That is no fun.  Suddenly
> your gtk2 mail reader is an 2 versions behind using gtk1.2.

Ick.  Don't recall running into that problem with SuSE, but maybe I
haven't tried hard enough to break things.  I tend to be a bit
cautious, though.  If it's a package that I installed when I installed
the distribution, I'll let SuSE provide the upgrade.  Otherwise, I have
no problem with building my own.

--
Scott Jones
(scott at exti dot net)