[olug] Sonicwall behind linux NAT box?

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Thu Feb 27 05:39:53 UTC 2003

Lengthy answer, but answers your question-

ipsec is a peer to peer ( or gateway to gateway ) protocol, if you
change src or dst address's you must also change the data in
the ipsec Encapsulated Security Payload  (esp)  ( like src and dst
as you are in using NAT ) as they are a part of the protocol design.
CISCO IOS 12.2(13) Train has this extended NAT capability, I am not aware
of any linux netfilter module that handles the fixup of the ipsec protocol.
As a side note - if pptp is available on the sonicwall, it will work fine
through nat, but keep in mind pptp uses both tcp ports 1423 as well as GRE
( Ip protocol 47 ).