[olug] Installing software under /usr/local

Jonathan Warren thechunk at cox.net
Wed Feb 26 20:12:21 UTC 2003

I install my new apps to there own directory usually under opt.  I use /usr/local for testing just because most configure scripts default to there.  Instead of adding all the apps to your path you may want to use symbolic links from the /usr/local/app/bin/appname to /usr/local/bin.

The only exception would be a library that needs to be available to more than one application.  They still need to be in the system library path.

Also to note if I keep my slackware source tree updated it contains the build script.  this makes it very convenient for upgrading a package and having it use all the same configure options.  I don't know if there is something similar for the other distros or not.  If anyone  wants the slackware-current and source trees I maintain a local copy rsync'd twice a day.

-Jon