[olug] take this poll

Mac Petras Mac at PetrasWeb.com
Wed Feb 26 19:42:45 UTC 2003

I know I'm new to the group, but I signed up for this list
hoping to be able to be part of _meaningful_ discussions and
insights to Linux - the exact same thing I'm hoping to get from
being a member.

I, for one, appreciate getting the Unix tips (although I suppose
I'd prefer Linux specific ones more).  I know that to some they
are helpful, and to some they are more of an annoyance.  Do I
find the tips useful? Not always. But I still enjoy getting
something that make me think (as opposed to a long running
flame..... ;-).

Personally, I'd prefer to see the more experienced members
providing tips and more articles on various topics (routers,
firewalls, Apache, shell scripting, etc) so that others can
learn from them.  However, being a realist at heart, there is no
way I can expect anyone to have enough time to do that (though
it'd be nice on occasion).

Are they SPAM? I suppose that is one way to look at them.
However, If we look at them as a method to spark conversations,
then they are a good thing. If the moderator took it upon
themselves to send out a discussion point once a twice a day,
would we consider that SPAM or helpful?  I just consider this an
automated version of the same thing.
</soapbox>