[olug] mozilla yet no java?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Feb 24 16:10:31 UTC 2003

Thanks everyone...
I was not able to find debian packages from the blackdown.org mirror on
metalab, but I downloaded their java for gcc2.95
(j2re-1.4.1-01-linux-i586-gcc2.95.bin) and everything worked out quite
nicely.  Created as symlink, restart mozilla, and lo and behold java shows
up in the about:plugins. =)

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/JDK-1.4.1/i386/01/

I'm not sure what the j2re from java.sun.com is compiled for, gcc2.95 or
gcc3.2, but this seemed to work.  note 'dpkg -l gcc' returns the version
of gcc installed in debian.

peace

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:51:21 -0600
Christopher Cashell <topher at zyp.org> wrote:

|At Mon, 24 Feb 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
|> I'm running Debian stable.  I've tried this with Mozilla 'stable' and
|> 'testing'.
|
|Have you tried the Blackdown[1] Java packages?  They provide Debian
|packages for all but the most recent Java releases (1.4 packages are
|being worked on, and should be available soon, especially now that the
|non-Debian 1.4 release has occurred.)
|
|They are what I use, and include the Netscape and Mozilla Java plug-ins.
|For me, I installed the blackdown packages, and Java "just worked". ;-)
|
|Easiest way to get them is to add the blackdown mirror line[2] to your
|/etc/apt/sources.list file.  Then do an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get
|install j2re1.3' (for the stable Java 1.3 packages (or j2re1.4, for the
|beta 1.4 packages (or j2sdk1.3/j2sdk1.4, for the full development kit))).
|
|Hope this helps. ;-)
|
|>   Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
|
| [1] http://www.blackdown.org
| [2] deb
| ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
| woody non-free main

|--