[olug] mozilla yet no java?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Mon Feb 24 09:51:21 UTC 2003

At Mon, 24 Feb 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Brian Wiese, said:
> I'm running Debian stable.  I've tried this with Mozilla 'stable' and
> 'testing'.

Have you tried the Blackdown[1] Java packages?  They provide Debian
packages for all but the most recent Java releases (1.4 packages are
being worked on, and should be available soon, especially now that the
non-Debian 1.4 release has occurred.)

They are what I use, and include the Netscape and Mozilla Java plug-ins.
For me, I installed the blackdown packages, and Java "just worked". ;-)

Easiest way to get them is to add the blackdown mirror line[2] to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file.  Then do an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get
install j2re1.3' (for the stable Java 1.3 packages (or j2re1.4, for the
beta 1.4 packages (or j2sdk1.3/j2sdk1.4, for the full development kit))).

Hope this helps. ;-)

>   Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru

 [1] http://www.blackdown.org
 [2] deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody non-free main