[olug] su - seg fault?

bwiese bwiese at cotse.net
Sat Feb 22 22:42:35 UTC 2003

Ok.. what does this mean, and how do I fix it?

(there was an even more odd error here when as 'root' I tried to apt-get
install a package - it said it had no idea who user 'root' (me) was!)

bwiese at home:/home$ sudo apt-get -u install reportbug
sudo: no passwd entry for root!
bwiese at host:/home$ su -
Segmentation fault
bwiese at host:/home$

Has anyone ever seen this before or have any idea?^H^H^H^H^H^H

ok... I guess I thought I would still share this embarassing yet odd
incident.  Apparently user 'root' got deleted... how? - I have NO idea!
Luckily I had several terminal windows open, many logged in as root
locally and some not when a "grep root /etc/passwd" returned nothing that
was scary.  I was able to readd "root" luckily, ran vipw and changed user
and group id to "0", set a password for "root" and I guess all is working
fine again. ? oh my! =)

eek! - lol!,

Brian