[olug] discount subscription to Linux Journal

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Feb 19 15:16:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:07:57 -0600
Matthew Platte <plattem at inetnebr.com> wrote:

|I'm still confused about that problem OLUG had with the computer store
|owner using the list for advertising. How is Linux Journal different
|from the computer store?

hrmm. interesting and good point.  My best assumption on the ethical
nature of the situation, is whether the posting is solely 'self serving'
or not.  Even though Jay offered some very valuable information and
contributed to the list, when he simply mentioned that it might just be
easier to setup a gateway to internet using a little (Zoom 4160 Inet
Gateway) router --- as I and probably many other people on the list use
some Linksys router of sorts (it's just easier, less maintainence, and
pretty cheap - quite rational)  --- but that he sold it in his own store,
suddenly it's "taboo"!?

Well, I can understand some people's criticism of this, and their fear of
the list turning into some kind of spam ridden advertising list - devoid
of any technical value... I don't think what Jay did was such a big deal,
but something we need to look out for.

In my situation, I really enjoy Linux Journal magazine and it's great
articles [1], they support LUGs like our own, and our group is registered
in the GLUE[2] database.  I found out that there's some awesome benefits
to this -- so I thought I'd share the information along with others to
benefit from as well.  Again, it's not really my 'self interest' in
sharing this with the list though, just something I thought I would share
as it is relevent to the group (e.g. OLUG special discount code).  I was
just about to buy a subscription for the past few months, and was just
glad to see this discount offer.

[1] http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine.php
[2] http://www.ssc.com:8080/glue/

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart