[olug] Specking out Sun Solaris box(es)

IrishMASMS IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon Feb 17 06:13:32 UTC 2003

Here is the deal – at work our enterprise database application with Oracle
is running on a P3 xeon 450 (dual processor) Dell poweredge server with
512 MB memory. The OS is NT 4 – major yuck.

The company that sold the system & provides the maintenance and support is
pestering me to upgrade the enterprise database application and Oracle. I
can not upgrade because I need to also upgrade the OS to W2K server, and
at the same time upgrade the server hardware, bla bla bla. Additionally,
our W2K upgrade was disapproved by management, bla bla bla.

So it looks like I ask for money for Sun boxes. Talking with the company
that sold the system, their implementation guy thinks we could get away
with a small sun box (like a SunBlade 150). One for the database and one
for the Apache server & application; also placing the Apache/.application
server outside the firewall with the correct and appropriate security
issues taken care of.

Before you ask, they do not support Solaris on x86, I already asked. Their
Linux support is not official yet, but are starting the groundwork for it.

So, to those who are experienced with specking out sun systems my
quandary: is the SunBlate 150's good enough for our situation, or should
we go with something more? Something like a SunFire or UltraSparc?

Any & all comments would be appreciated.

--
Irish

A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?