summary -Re: [olug] local ntp time server?

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Feb 13 20:23:22 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:55:35 -0600
Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:

|Hello all...
|
|I'm looking for a local ntp server to sync my time with, but can't seem
|to find any.  I thought that time.unomaha.edu provided this service
|openly, but apparently not? ...
|
|franklin:/home/bwiese# ntpdate -B time.unomaha.edu
|13 Feb 11:54:08 ntpdate[17709]: no server suitable for synchronization
|found
|
|does anyone else know of a good host?  I've found several listings
|online, but always get the same error message.  Thanks.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I finally found one IP address
that did work for me, many of the others that were submitted returned the
same error message to me though.  Actually after I found the one, more
seemend to work.  Below is my results.  I wonder why this doesnt work for
me, yet it does for others... is it because I have a different IP address,
I'm behind a firewall, __my local time is set so far off__, ...????

Am I the only one with this problem?

I'm running a debian stable version of the package.
ii  ntpdate        4.1.0-8        The ntpdate client for setting system

Ok, just a summary of the time servers submitted, and what worked for me.

Worked			Did not Work
ntp.nasa.com		ntp.nasa.gov  =)
time.inetnebr.com	www.geniussystems.net
time.verio.net		128.115.14.97
time.apple.com		129.6.16.36
ntp1.kansas.net		time.unomaha.edu
192.5.41.209

peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart