[olug] Inc. Backup restores w/o Deleted Files

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Wed Feb 12 04:43:14 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "William E. Kempf" <wekempf at cox.net>
To: <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 3:40 PM
Subject: [olug] (no subject)
> So, what I'm looking for is a backup/restore system that meets the
following requirements:

> * Backs up to a mounted directory (I will use Samba to get the backup to
go to my Windows box).

> * Performs both full and incremental backups.
>
> * Allows me to restore to any of the "point in time" snapshots with out
resurrection of deleted files.

> * Does compressed backups.
>
> * Is either free, or cheap.

Sorry, but no archiving/backup solution, I know of, allows for incremental
or differential backups to provide for deleted folders/files.  As they
backup any changed files/folders since the last full backup.  Only a full
backup is a "snapshot" of the system.  What you are looking for is something
along the line of cvs or svn, revision control systems.  svn and, I believe
cvs, can both use a file system instead of a server as a repository.  This
will accounted for deleted files, allow restoration to any point in time and
only save deltas of any non-binary file.  Binary files are handled
differently by both systems.  **BEWARE** your repository could grow very
large depending on type types of files and the number of checkins that you
do.

While it is not unusual for a user to revision control their user directory
it would make a POOR system for anything larger.  I would counsel you to
make complete backups of the smallest set of files necessary to cover the
changes.  However, since I don't know your exact situation I can only make
general recommendations.  For a user directory, use revision control for the
ultimate ease, for anything larger use a normal backup.

Wish I had better news for you but data protection is always a trade off of
what is less painful.

-Jeff