[olug] Lessons Learned: Using Linux BBC

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 28 17:38:25 UTC 2003

I'm posting this as a type of review and wanting to
get some pointers incase there is a next time.  This
topic seems to come up once in awhile on the list.

A couple of installfest ago, John Larson, burnt quite
a few LinuxBBC, http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

My parents W2K box died a slow, painful death and at
the time F8, safe mode, didn't work so it was a
perfect time to use LinuxBBC to save what data they
wanted rescued. The plan was to mount a thumbdrive to
a usb port and move what I could to it and be done
with it.

Booted up to Linux BBC and it had a number of choices,
either text mode or run X.  I tried both and both
worked well, looks like they use FVWM for the WM.

A thing that I noticed is that it looks like you have
to be very familiar with command lines to get what you
needed done.

The funny thing is that I wasn't able to mount my
thumbdrive under /mnt/rw.  I created a mountpoint
under /mnt/rw and entry under /etc/fstab.  Still
didn't work.  The thumbdrive was detected and kernel
showed usb modules loaded.

Tried to use scp, sftp, and nc to move data to a
machine that I had a ssh connection to.  It has been
awhile since I've used these commands so this was a
challenge and was not able to pull it off.  If anyone
could post examples of the above mentioned, please do.

Thought about using Samba, but has been more then a yr
since I've set that up as well.  Also tried to used
LinNeighborhood, since smbd was running on both
machines, but neither machine did not see each other
on the network.

Opted for Knoppix 3.3, and had some problems here.
The NTFS drive and my thumbdrive were recognized but
when it came time to move data, even using the GUI,
could not write.  Chmod ugo+rwx on whatever device or
directory was setup right, but did not work.

???

As a last deperate move, I tried to boot into Windows
Safe Mode, which did work and I was able to save the
data.

Any feedback here would be great.

thanks

=====