[olug] Unix environment on Windows, if anyone is interested

Michael Peterson Wireless mikejack at stratomail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:30:03 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: kobol-admin at thekompany.com [mailto:kobol-admin at thekompany.com] On
Behalf Of george worroll
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 3:52 PM
To: kobol at thekompany.com
Subject: [Kobol] Unix environment on Windows, while using Kobol.

I hope this is ok for the list, I didn't see it mentioned when I was looking
for ways to get a full Cygwin install playing nicely with Kobol/Cygwin.

Microsoft is giving away full versions of Services For Unix 3.0 for the cost
of shipping($11.90 in the US- don't know about internationally).  Gets a
good unix-like environment, full shell and all the utilities.  Plays nicely
with Kobol/Cygwin.  The only critical thing it was missing was BASH, but the
second URL contains a bunch of utilities for use with SFU, including BASH.
The giveaway expires Dec. 31.

It is *much* easier to get this playing nicely with Kobol than a full
install of Cygwin.  Cygwin is nice, but this is essentially the same idea
and doesn't require jumping through hoops to fully utilize it alongside
Kobol.

URL here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/unixproresources/freesfu30.asp

Tools for it: