[olug] Gnome & Gkrellm

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 01:13:59 UTC 2003

Got it.

Here's a solution I received from the Gnome mailing.  I'll post it FYI.
> I'm attemping to transition from IceWM to Gnome, and I
> have a few Gnome questions.
>
> #1.  How do I tie a keyboard shortcut to an and/or a
> nice long Rxvt load string (or any app for that
> matter) something like:
> rxvt -geometry 156x58 -name MC -fg white -bg black -sl
> 3000 -st -e mc ~/

This is a hidden feature.  Open the program 'gconf-editor' (located
under System Tools as Configuration Editor) and browse to

/apps/metacity/global_keybindings

There's a set of keys in there named run_command_n for n from 1 to 12.
Pick an unused one (they're probably all unused) and set the value to
some key sequence.  You can look at some of the other keybindings in
there to see the format.  Now go to

/apps/metacity/keybinding_commands

There are 12 keys of the form command_n.  Pick the corresponding one,
and type in your command.  It should now work.

> #2.  How do I get Gkrellm to automatically load on all
> desktops and not be focusable?

Look at the very bottom of this page:

http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/Plugins.html
It says: "GKrellM2 has builtin EWMH options which should be usable under Gnome
2.0, KDE 3, and other EWMH compliant window managers."

This basically means that the ability to make Gkrellm sticky, always on bottoms
layer, etc. are already built into Gkrellm.

Under Configuration, check General -> Properties.