[olug] ssh and Cox

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sun Dec 21 03:36:53 UTC 2003

Terry wrote:

>Your safest bet is to send KeepAlives from your ssh
>client rather than from the Server.  My guess is your
>work Pix has an xlate timeout in place that is not
>friendly to streamed connections such as ssh/telnet.
>
>I know putty has a keepalive option, if you are using
>windows.  The keepalive option for sshd is set to
>'yes' by default so unless you have done something
>outside of the norm, you already have this enabled.
>Give putty a roll if you haven't yet:
>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

I gave PuTTY a try for ssh, but couldn't get it to connect at all.  I'd
been using SSH Secure Shell for Windows (now SSH Tectia) in the past,
and that was fine except I don't see a keepalive option.  If I can't get
a keepalive on the client side, I might look into changing the firewall
so it doesn't boot me out so fast.

Tim