[olug] ssh and Cox

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Fri Dec 19 19:31:26 UTC 2003

The IP addresses Cox's uses for home users are dynamic and expire every
24hours, however, it has been setup so that the same IP will be reissued
back to you if its still available. Most times this is the case.  I had my
IP only change 1 times since they have been Cox and not @home. THis only
happened because my cable modem was unplugged for 4 days while I was on
vacation.  So the IP look available and probably got issued to a new
customer.

The ssh problem could be an issue with a firewall between you and the remote
machine.  My firewall at work timesout all sessions inactive for more than
20 minutes.  I found that using PUTTY and setting the Keepalive to about 300
sec. worked for me.

Trent