[olug] Knoppix question

Shaughn shaughn at emosai.net
Fri Dec 19 15:00:11 UTC 2003

I use knoppix for this sort of thing ALL the time. The only thing is KDE
requires 128megs of ram. So it will require a swap file on the dos
partition, it will also let you know this. If this is the way you go,
KDE will run very slowly as everything's going to a swap file. So you
will most likely want to run command line for it.

Another thing, hard drives don't really 'loose' an operating system,
generally when this happens, the drive is shot or very close to being
shot. So you might want to download a CD Tool called  UBCD 2.0 (availble
on source-forge) this will give you some software hard drive testing
utilities.