[olug] [nstts+20031214430000710 at suse.com: Re: Ticket [20031214430000710] Omaha Linux User Group Installfest Question]

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 19 08:32:13 UTC 2003

Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to look into the Suse situation.
It looks like we now have an authoritative answer on copying Suse.
It seems Suse is OK with copying if done for free.
I presume this applies to ISO trading also, if done for free.
(How else would you "e-send" somebody a free bootable CD?)

(Although this does not explain the lack of private ISO ftp sites,
maybe the RIAA should hire Suse to police those MP3 sites that well ;)

I have one little question though.

Rick Holzer (of Suse) wrote:
 > Every sold copy must be accompanied with a valid registration key.

As a 5-year Suse user, maybe you can tell us about this key.  Does it:
(A) Tell Suse that you "bought the box" and are therefore a swell guy?
     (It must not be to restrain free copying, if free copying is OK?)
(B) Enable human services: e-mail support, "first-incident" phone, etc.?
     (This would be fine, they have to make money, why not sell services?)
(C) Enable software features: If you burn "free", something(?) doesn't work?
     (This one smacks of Win XP enabled from Redmond, I hope untrue.)
(D) Something else?
     (None of the above?  I missed the point?  Please enlighten us.)

I know little of Suse but might try it if I am getting the "real deal".
Otherwise I'll wait until I am interested enough to buy the box.
(In the meantime, Mandrake continues to take good care of me.)

I would like to add the Suse ISOs to my collection and would be willing
to attend the installfest and bring along most current ISOs to share.
I would appreciate suggestions from anyone on any lesser-known
distros to bring.

Thanks again Brian, for looking into this and getting a solid answer.

K.J.