[olug] [nstts+20031214430000710 at suse.com: Re: Ticket [20031214430000710] Omaha Linux User Group Installfest Question]

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Fri Dec 19 02:47:06 UTC 2003

We have the OK to reproduce suse 9 profesional in cd or dvd format.

----- Forwarded message from Business-Support <nstts+20031214430000710 at suse.com> -----

From: Business-Support <nstts+20031214430000710 at suse.com>
To: Brian Roberson <roberson at olug.org>
Subject: Re: Ticket [20031214430000710] Omaha Linux User Group Installfest
    Question
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:16:05 +0100 (CET)

Dear Brian Roberson,

many thanks for your request.

You wrote:

> Good day,
>     I am writing to ask for guidance in the possible use of SuSE 9.0
> as the default distribution selection in our up and coming installfest.

Very exciting. SUSE would be honored.

> I have looked around a bit on the website, and from the looks of things,
> the ftp version is freely redistributable in this fashion, however,
> the problem we are running into is that for the last 6 installfests we
> have had, we send new users home with installation CD's, that way if
> they do not have the luxury of broadband internee access, they can at
> least have the base media to reinstall/etc... This puts us in a sticky
> situation with Suse, we do not have neither the financial status nor
> man power to send everyone home with a dvd if the ftp install.

The download is free of charge and is not available in ISOs.
A single purchased box copy could be burned and _given_ away. These burned copies can not be sold. Every sold copy must be accomplanied with a valid registration key.

 That
> leaves us with very few options. I personally have been a faithful
> SuSE user for over 5 years now, both personally and professionally,
> and have bowed out of trying to use Suse for the installfest because
> of the possible legal aspect as well as SuSE not being bleeding edge
> as it has been with the 8 and 9 versions. However, I beleive now is a
> good time to perhaps get Suse into the hands of some new users and get
> them hooked on YaST as I did so many years ago. Is there anything you can
> suggest in this area? Ideally I would love to see some freebie box sets,
> but I know thats asking alot, We are willing to duplicate cd's if we get
> the official ok from Suse, but not having a mass cd duplicator this
> needs to start soon.

You can mass produce and give away. The key is that there can be not money profit in the transaction.

Another option is our LUG program. I can provide you with back version of the product if you are interested at no charge. I have 8.2 Pros and Personals that I an ship for free.

If interested, please respond to my email at rick at suse.com with answers to the following questions:

SUSE aggressively supports LUGs (Linux User Groups).

If you provide answers to the following questions, SUSE will provide support to your LUG.

* When is your deadline for receiving product?

** Or does your LUG have regular meetings? What is your schedule? When is your next meeting?

* How many people attend your Install Fest or meetings?

* Business or consumer promotional material - How many copies could you put to good use?

* How many copies of back versions of SUSE (8.0, 8.1, 8.2 Per/Pro) could you put to good use? SUSE will ship  you back copies at no charge.

* What is contact information including your phone number?

* What is your shipping address?

--
Best regards,

Rick Holzer
SUSE LINUX, INC.

Holzer, Rick			Customer Service / Technical Presales
T: 510-628-3380 x5010		SUSE LINUX, INC.
F: 510-628-3381			318 Harrison Street, Suite 301
rick.holzer at suse.com		Oakland, Ca 94067
simply change to www.suse.com

> Thank you in advance for any guidance you can supply
>

> Brian Roberson
> Founder/President Omaha Linux User Group http://www.olug.org
> Samba Team Member http://www.samba.org

Yours sincerely,

    Rick Holzer (Business-Support <nstts at suse.com>)

--
SUSE Inc.,                 Tel (US): 888-8754689 extension 5088
318 Harrison st suite 301  Fax:     +1-510-628-3381

----- End forwarded message -----