[olug] Greeting Cards in Linux

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Wed Dec 17 20:46:17 UTC 2003

We are a Microsoft-free household and I'm quite proud of that fact.  My
wife, however, isn't so happy about it.  She can do anything she wants --
email, surf, write letters -- but she can't make greeting cards and she
reminds me of that fact at least once a week .  There doesn't seem to be any
software that does it directly, and Print Shop and PrintMaster don't work in
Wine (I've tried PrintMaster myself and can vouch that it doesn't work.
Apparently, if you can create something with one of those, it probably
wouldn't print anyway because both Print Shop and PrintMaster use specific
print codes, which will confuse GhostScript.).

I've spent the day mucking with OpenOffice templates -- there are similar
templates[1], but nothing exact.  And I've played with templates a little and
it may be possible but out of my limited realm of knowledge.  I've messed
with Scribus in the past -- that has more potential, but the documentation
is lacking and I don't have enough DTP knowledge to make a template.  And a
Photoshop-wannabe is overkill for making greeting cards.

So, does anyone else out there have any ideas?  Or enough OpenOffice
knowledge to help me make a greeting card template?

thanks,
-- mikeh

[1] http://ooextras.sourceforge.net/ is a great site . . .
--