[olug] Open Source at the Public Library

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 20:20:41 UTC 2003

I don't know how many people read this article on
slashdot.

Open Source CD Lending For Public Libraries?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/15/193231&mode=thread&tid=146&tid=149&tid=99

It got me thinking this is something it might be
intresting for OLUG to do.  There are a couple of ways
to do something like this.

Option #1

Buy/donate several copies of "Kiss the Blue Screen of
Death Goodbye"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321159985/qid=1071605683//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/103-4233303-2024664?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
to the public libraries.  I don't know if that is tax
deductible or not.

Option #2

Press a dozen or two Knoppix CDs, put labels on them
and see if the library will loan them out. Possibly
put a couple copies of Fedora in libraries as well.

IANAL (I am not a librarian :-) ) but I know somebody
who is TIM.  I don't know what the Omaha public
library approach is on this, but it might be a cool
thing to do.

The idea is almost a year round installfest.  Knoppix
is pretty safe for the average home user to do.  It
won't muck with your hard drives and is pretty safe.

We could always master an OLUG knoppix, with the OLUG
logo and stuff if we thought it would be worth it.  It
might let people get the software without any pressure
to play around with it.

Any thoughts on the topic?  Anybody know anybody at
the  public library to talk to on this topic.

Regards,

Aaron
=-=-=
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying