[olug] SuSE 9.0 problems w/X freezing SOLVED

EmptyMM emptymm at cox.net
Tue Dec 16 18:08:31 UTC 2003

Okay, being new to the group I didn't catch this complete thread so go
easy on me but having two nvidia cards installed in one of my machines
I've had plenty of fun with them..

 From the looks, if you're using "vesa" or "nv" then you're not using
the driver that nvidia provides.  Although not opensource these drivers
do work well and the installer does a pretty clean compile and install.
The nvidia provided drivers will also give you the 3D acceleration as
well as the benefit of full OpenGL support..  The only downside is being
compiled against the kernel you'll need to rerun the installer after any
kernel update.

The install is as simple as
* download http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
* kill X (su -; telinit 3; ctrl + alt + backspace)
* login as root and cd to the installer folder
* run the installer "sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run"
* edit XF86Config and change config to "nvidia"
* restart X ("startx" or just reboot)

-Ken
ken at macferrin dot com