[olug] CloneIT & ifconfig problem

IrishMASMS at olug.org IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sun Dec 14 20:24:32 UTC 2003

I'm trying to use CloneIT
[http://software.freshmeat.net/projects/cloneit/?topic_id=137] to copy a
HD in one system to another over our network. It worked successfully for
me at another job site; but today I am having no luck.

When CloneIT boots I tried configuring the network interface via DHCP &
manually via the screen prompt; all attempts ended up with the same error
(if I copied it down correctly):

KMOD: FAILED TO EXECUTE /SBIN/MODPROBE -0 ERRO=2

So, when CloneIT finishes booting I log in as normal (as root) and tried
an ifconfig eth0

KMOD: FAILED TO EXECUTE /SBIN/MODPROBE -s -k /eth0 errno=2
/eth0: error fetching interface information: device not found

Effectively CloneIT is not finding the NIC & configuring it to connect to
the network; correct? Any suggestions on how to get CloneIT to detect &
configure the network connection?

Warning: If you tell me to get Ghost or some other commercial product I
will flog you. That sort of software is not in my budget, nor is that sort
of software authorized for use.
Also, digging through Freshmeat gave some other possible solutions but
they all require setup & configuration of a host/FTP server - something
else that is outside of my grasp right now.

Irish