[olug] business case in omaha for linux?

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Dec 12 19:53:44 UTC 2003

Brian Roberson <roberson at olug.org> wrote:
> We (UNO ACM) took a tour there one time, believe they mentioned some use
> of GNU/Linux if I recall correctly.. =)

As a past employee there, I can say that we used Linux in a variety of
places including:
- DNS
- development boxes
- customer monitoring (OpenNMS)
- monitoring of various network links (MRTG)
- internal customer database (MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- NAS servers (NFS, Samba)

In short, if the "geeks" used it for our stuff, we would use Linux where
possible.  If the server was for the office-staff side of the house, it
was Windows servers and workstations.

Dan