[olug] PostgreSQL 7.4's autovacuuming

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Wed Dec 10 17:07:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:49:13AM -0600, thehaas at binary.net wrote:
> I know there are other PostgreSQL users out there, so I thought I would
> share.

Yes. I shall start some sort of flamewar by asserting that it is better
than MySQL, but not backup my claim. *runs*

> One of the features of PostgreSQL 7.4 is auto-vacumming -- that's right,
> no more scheduled vacuums. It's really just a program in the contrib
> directory that monitors that database and has thresholds for
> INSERTS/DELETES, etc.

This isn't really new. You've been able to Google and download
`pg_autovacuum` for months now, and it works fine against PostgreSQL 7.3.x
servers. I've been running it against my PostgreSQL 7.3.4 since September
8th with no problems. So, if you are hesitant to upgrade, just go find the
pg_autovacuum script or rip it out of the contrib/ directory from the 7.4
tree. It really is worth running.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org