[olug] OLUG web site polls & such [Was: Server OS after Dec 31, 2003 (reply about what poll I am referring to)

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon Dec 8 04:37:42 UTC 2003

<quote who="Mike Peterson CoxMail">
> I was referring to that there used to be open polls on olug.org.
> I have an account for the site as a member but had to get a new password
> for access.
> The passwords used to be generated and emailed out like replacement ones
> are.
> I could no locate my old one so I requested and have received a new
> generated one.
>
> The Install Fest Distro Poll can only be taken by active members with a
> username and password for the site.
> The Poll is not open as in the past to anyone that has Internet access
> and knows the URL of olug.org.
>
> Is this so that each count points to a specific member?
>
> Or just to keep the count limited to only members who have signed up as
> non-guest members of the site?
[snipped]

Mike, the short answer is yes.

The long answer is that individuals & organizations had taken advantage of
the open anonymous news postings and polls on the OLUG web site. To help
with site administration, and having the pools accurately reflect the
desires and feelings of the registered OLUG members, we restricted those
areas of the web site to registered members that were logged in to the
site.

I am glad you were able to get a new password and renewed access to the
OLUG web site. Let me also thank you for vocalizing your concerns on the
site. This is your user group and web site - we appreciate your input and
involvement because it improves the community and experience for all
involved. Please feel free to let your fellow OLUGers know your ideas and
concerns. Please feel free to get involved with OLUG. Your input and
assistance can only help the Open Source movement grow - not just here in
Iowa & Nebraska but globally.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson