[olug] SuSE 9.0 problems w/X freezing

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Dec 7 21:00:26 UTC 2003

Eric Pierce wrote:
>>some causes of lockups are having 'dri' loaded in XF86Config in the module
>>section, or not loading freetype, or having framebuffer enabled, or having
>>shared irq's with the video/another device.........
>
> 'freetype' is loaded in the 'Modules', 'dri' isn't.  I didn't see anything like
> 'fb' or 'frame' in XFConfig.  That is where it would be set, correct?
>
> Where are irqs being set?  'modules.conf'?

For PCI and AGP devices the IRQs are typically set by the BIOS/firmware.
  On many "white-box" (aka non-name brand) systems you can control which
IRQ gets assigned to which slot in the BIOS.

You can find what's using what IRQ with 'cat /proc/interrupts' and 'cat
/proc/pci' and '/sbin/lspci -v'.  You may need to install the 'pciutils'
package for the last one to work.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us