[olug] konqueror file manager/explorer alternative?

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 7 08:06:55 UTC 2003

I would be interested in trying something else besides the Konquerer
file browser too.  And I will try xffm if easily installed, thanks.

The only thing I am aware of is "mc" (midnight commander) which
is text/character-based but can also appear in an X window.
It looks a little like "xtree" for DOS, if you've ever seen that.
It can be used locally or remotely if setup.  Homepage/screenshots:
http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/
(Your distro may already have it as an installable pkg, mine does.)

There are links to other mc/xtree-type file managers here:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Utilities/File_Managers/Console/index.shtml

But I'm with you, still looking for Linux's "Explorer" (Horrors!, LOL)
Hoping others may have more suggestions.