[olug] OT: laptop power supply

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Fri Dec 5 14:21:59 UTC 2003

bwiese wrote:
>>Anybody know where I can get a power supply for an HP Pavilion XF 125
>>laptop? Google and ebay find tons of AC adaptors and full size power
>>supplies, but I can't seem to locate laptop power supplies.
>

> Perhaps I don't understand laptop's power systems well enough, but isn't
> the AC adapter the same as the 'powersupply' to the laptop? (as in a full
> size ATX powersupply, it just converts the AC to DC current right?)

Well, now that you mention it, I'm not sure. This is the first time I've
ever dealt with troubleshooting a laptop. I know when I plug it in some
lights come on on the case, but there's nothing on screen. There's a fan
I can see on the bottom and it doesn't spin when powered on. I guess I
was just assuming it was a "power supply" fan.

> If not, and it is a part of the laptop, I would guess your best bet is to
> find a similiar model on ebay 'for parts'.

I'll try that. Maybe it's a motherboard issue?

Thanks.