[olug] Installfest & RSVP

Tim - DZ iceburn at dangerzone.com
Wed Dec 3 15:35:37 UTC 2003

I'm also looking for a new distro...Fedora while it has it's 'neat side'
seems to boil down to a testing ground for things that may end up into the
money making Red Hat products.  I'd just assume go for a stable, supported
distro rather than be a corporate guinea pig.  That's just how I see it, if
others see it differently I'm sure we'll see posts to the list :-)

Logical popular Linux choices would be bigger players like Mandrake, Suse,
etc.  Mandrake has financial issues all the time and goes through various
stages of existence, Suse was just bought my Novell which may foreshadow
death (albeit a cynical outlook).

So now who's the 'big player' with a huge user base and some sort of backing
such that management at a corporation can not feel uneasy about using Linux?

I'm finishing up a MythTV box right now, I've gone with Mandrake 9.2 at the
moment, I know another OLUGer has decided to go with Gentoo on his upcoming
MythTV box.

My big question is on the BSD side of things:
With all the projects available out there for Linux, what's it take to get
them to run on *BSD?  For example MythTV has a crap load of dependences and
required pre-installed software.  OR if I found "joe's cool web tool" that
is developed in joe's free time and touted to work on many Linux distros -
tested on RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, etc.  What's it take to get that running
on *BSD?

-t