[olug] Installfest & RSVP

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Wed Dec 3 04:39:17 UTC 2003

<quote who="Terry Bradshaw">
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 20:15, Brian Wiese wrote:
>
>> You always have your choice of distro to install, whatever your heart
>> desires... usually mandrake has just been a popular suggestion, but
>> there's no 'standard distro' that gets installed for everyone.
>> Hopefully we'll have a wide assortment of the popular distros on CD on
>> hand.

True statement - thanks Brian!

> Mandrake might be one to avoid... cache purging, LG CD drives being
> ruined...  I realize it's LG's fault, not Mandrake's, but it could
> really sour someone new to Linux (or someone not new to Linux, for that
> manner).

Another true statement.

> I have the Fedora ISO's.  I can bring my box and plenty of blank CDR's
> unless someone has yet another idea for a distro.  Jon told me that
> Fedora might leave a little to be desired, though.

With the discussion at the meeting & after meeting; some said that Fedora
was a bit bleeding edge. Also, some of us are a bit leery of the whole Red
Hat & Fedora issues and would like to sit back and see what happens.

> I love Gentoo, but that wouldn't work at all (would we even finish
> downloading XFree, not to mention compiling
>
> Debian is stable, but will it support newer hardware?

Debian was brought up as a option, also SUSE and Slackware.

Basicly, we need a distro to offer out to individuals that did not bring a
distro with them that:
- OLUG members are familiar with to help newbies out with installing &
configuring.
- a distro that is newbie friendly.
- and a distro that will work on a wide range of hardware.

IMHO =)

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson