[olug] Open Source Solution Marketing

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sat Aug 30 18:59:41 UTC 2003

<quote who="neal rauhauser">
[snipped]

>   When OLUG was young we'd get a few people who knew what they were
> doing and an irregular flow of programmers and Windows admins wanting to
> grow their skills. I think OLUG has grown up to the point where there is
> enough of an admin population available in the metro area that its time
> for the next step - market penetration beyond the traditional geek with
> facial hair demographic.
[snipped]

A superb idea Neal, and I would love to help wherever I can.

What i see as the key - market penetration. Getting the word out.

I/we spent some time & effort trying to publicize the last install fest;
with some weak to nonexistent feedback and support from the media outlets.

You all have seen & read the lame stories about the worms flying around
the last week or so in the media 'outlets'; full of FUD, BS, and outright
lies. How do you expect them to support and publicize an event where we
are trying to get the truth out, when they can not even read a point paper
on a worm they downloaded from CERT or Symantec?

It is one of the many issues that must be overcome for such an event to be
successful.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson