[olug] Open Source Solution Marketing

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 15:37:58 UTC 2003

I am the Computer Applications Adminstrator at
Meridian, a division of Applied Graphics Technologies
(AGT).  We have some Open Source software on Solaris
and Mac OS X.  We use also use Linux to as a platform
for many things:

* WebLogic - a commercial J2EE server (I would like to
use JBOSS instead)
* Apache - Web server
* SendMail/IMAP/POP3
* Nagios - Alerts and Notifications
* DNS
* CVS (We are Migrating from StarTeam to CVS)
* Scarab (We are Migrating from StarTeam to CVS)
* Jabber
* mySQL
* PHP
* PERL

Because of the requirements of Graphics related
industries, only about 30% of our workstations are
Windows; the other 70% are Macintosh.  Some of us are
running Open Source software on Mac OS X: Evolution,
Gaim, and Galeon are a some worth mentioning.

The biggest challenges are finding reasonable, stable,
well-supported and well-used replacements for
commercial software, and fitting the solutions into
our workflow and corporate culture.

Management put a freeze put on the purchase of
StarTeam licenses in December, and the concurrent
licenses not only caused contention with users trying
to access  data, but the StarTeam product had a
defect, which would not release the license when a
user logged out.  With the freeze on the purchase of
full licenses, we rolled out CVS.  It is quite easy to
roll out in this economic climate, because no
purchases are required.

Now, if we could just replace the desktop . . .

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com