[olug] Kernel upgrade knocked out sound?

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 16:05:25 UTC 2003

I'm running Knoppix, another form of Debian, on a
Averatec laptop, which is a very new laptop with KDE
desktop.

When I created a new kernel, I am not getting any
sound whatsoever, and now I am getting these errors:

root at Probot:/etc/init.d# uname -a
Linux Probot 2.4.21-acpi #1 Mon Jul 7 18:49:46 CEST
2003 i686 GNU/Linux

root at Probot:/etc/init.d# ./alsa-autoconfig
Preparing modules for alsa...
Building card database..
Configuring via82xx...
Running update-modules...
Creating snddevices...
Setting default volumes...
aumix: error opening mixer

root at Probot:/etc/init.d# ./aumix
Usage: /etc/init.d/aumix {start|stop|save}

root at Probot:/etc/init.d# ./aumix start
Restoring mixer settings: failed.

I've trolled around http://www.knoppix.net/forum/ and
irc and haven't been able to get an answer.

BTW, I still have the older kernel lying around if
this is any help.

thanks

-Chris

=====
"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."

-Edsger W. Dijkstra