[olug] best broadband option?

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Tue Aug 19 17:53:10 UTC 2003

Just to add a little fuel to the fire ...

- Cox will only assign static IP addresses to Cox at Work customers.  This
comes at a (very) premium price.

- Now having said that, I have a dynamic IP address that hasn't changed
since the day I got it.  But I don't think my machine's been off for
more than ten hours at a time in that period.  The address lease time
(at least on my net) is 24 hours.  I used ZoneEdit.com for my DNS and
I've never had to change my "A" record.

- Cox does block outbound SMTP for @Home customers.  You must dump your
email (Smart Host) off on their server for forwarding.  And as far as I
can tell, they are blocking inbound port 135 because my firewall logs
don't show any evidence of the MSBlaster worm.  However, as far as I can
tell, there is very little if any other filtering.

- If you've got a $100 cable bill, you're obviously getting more than
your cable modem.

Bob