[olug] Ethernet Auto-negotiation and Duplexing on Linux

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Aug 8 19:11:01 UTC 2003

> I don't know if you should trust ethertool or not, but have used
> mii-tool with great results for these kinds of things in the past.
> man mii-tool
> It's very easy. Hope That Helps.

IMO ethtool is easier ;)  Incidentally, ethtool is a very trustworthy
program - it's actually been around for a while.

In any case, you'll find that mii-tool simply won't work with certain
cards and drivers.  I think the plan is to make mii-tool depreciated for
2.6 - I know that a lot of work has been done during the 2.5.x series to
remove mii-tool support, and replace it with ethtool support.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us