Off Topic: Partitioning (was: Re: [olug] Upgrade HD ?)

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Tue Aug 5 18:36:07 UTC 2003

Actually, sometimes it can be necessary to have swap greater than 1 gig
:)

I would agree in principle that any extended periods of usage of swap
above 1 gig are a good sign a RAM upgrade is needed, but sometimes a
special case scenario comes up and then you want big swap so the system
doesn't crash.  For example Oracle installs use a ton of memory for
reasons I've never figured out.  I've had a system with 512MB Ram and
1.1 G swap die on me during Oracle install with an "out of swap"
message.  The solution was to add another 400MB of swap.  I find that a
big swap partition is a nice safety cushion for special-case scenarios.

Nick Walter