plug 4 CFA -- Re: [olug] Old PCs, etc

bwiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Aug 5 08:01:36 UTC 2003

Plug for local nonprofit org CFA --

When I get back into town in the next week or so, I'll be dedicating some
of my efforts back into the nonprofit 501(c) org Computers For Africa
(CFA)[1], based out of here in Omaha.  I worked with them last year (along
with the help of others from OLUG and UNO ACM) and we shipped out approx
200[2] systems to high schools within Uganda, and are hoping to have the
manpower and funding to double that amount this year. =)

In CFA's effort to stop e-waste and bridge the digital divide at the same
time, they would gladly accept donations of pentium class (200mhz+)
systems in clones of 10 or more preferably.  We setup and preconfigure
classrooms with 10-20 systems before we ship, and having identical
hardware makes shipping and maintenance easier.  CFA could use donations
(tax deductable contributions and 15" monitors for sure) and volunteers
now more than anything at the moment, so if you would be interested in
aiding this worthy cause - please email me back to keep in touch, or
contact[3] CFA yourself, they would love to hear from you.

I have some links back home for places that do recycling of old computer
parts and systems, though they usually charge $10-30/system for disposal
costs.  I read a few months back on Wired[4] though about the ewaste
problem, and it mentioned that HP, Dell, and a few of the other big
manfuacturers were accepting (free of charge/low cost) old systems to
dispose of them properly.  Also Computer Renaissance (supporters of CFA)
may also buy them back perhaps.

thanks, peace
Brian (bwiese(a)awdonline_dot_com) for the summer

[1] http://www.computers4africa.org
[2] http://www.brianwiese.net/photos/CFA/
[3] http://computers4africa.org/contact.htm
[4]