[olug] Fw: FC: Linus Torvalds on digital rights management inLinux kernel

Andrew Holm-Hansen olug at einer.org
Tue Apr 29 14:05:37 UTC 2003

Why can't you sign the kernel with a blank key, note the location of the
signature block in the binary, write a closed source signing tool, and
run it against the kernel?  This would mean that the key could remain
closed source and the kernel could be signed by said key.

I don't think the GPL protects against this.

Andrew