[olug] Unix Tip: OOPS.. RM STAR

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Apr 25 05:52:06 UTC 2003

At Thu, 24 Apr 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Dave Hull, said:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, CM Miller wrote:
> > or just create an alias

[Snip.]

> Personally, I remove this alias on any system I use because I find it
> annoying, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. This is yet another tip which
> may be dangerous to newbies.

I take the middle road.  On my personal accounts, I dislike having 'rm'
aliased to 'rm -i'.  However, I think every root account should have it
done.

It's a simple matter of scope.  If, as a user, I accidentally run rm *,
I can't hurt anyone but myself.  If it's my own system, it just means I
need to restore a backup.  However, if you're using the root account,
it's worth the inconvenience to make sure you don't screw things up.