[olug] The "other" raid utility usage

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Apr 24 02:49:32 UTC 2003

Matthew G. Marsh wrote:

> Yeah - funny thing is I could have bought three 200M IDE drives for the
> price of the SCSI rack unit but I trust the SCSI rack to be running long
> after the IDE's have been in the landfill... O'course that is probably
> just my ancient wheezing take on this newfangled stuff... ;-}

No, it's not just you.

If, in a year, those 3 IDE drives and the SCSI rack break on the same
day there's a good chance you'll be able to replace the SCSI rack under
warranty.  The IDEs will be on their way to a landfill.

For those that don't know, all consumer IDE drives are limited to a 1
year warranty.  This policy - shared by ALL IDE manufacturers - went
into effect last October.  The only exceptions I'm aware of are:

1) WD's Enterprise 10,000 RPM SATA drives
2) Name brand systems (ie Dell) with 3 year warranties

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us