[olug] Part-time Self Employment (Side Jobs)

Blaufuss, Shane sblaufuss at fnni.com
Wed Apr 23 00:25:38 UTC 2003

I used to run a consulting company, and this part gets a little tricky...

If you are doing a DBA, you need to register for a Tax ID number UNLESS
you're using your name in the business name (as Robert mentioned below), and
you're income is limited to $1 million IIRC.  Unfortunately, that limit was
NEVER a problem for me.  Any business you conduct will be under your Social
Security Number, which is why your assets and the company's assets will be
lumped together in the event of a legal matter.

Your chamber of commerce will have plenty of information on the advantages
and disadvantages between Corp, LLC, and Sole Proprietorship (I may have
brought that up already), as well as business startup plans, marketing
information, financial requirements, and sources of local startup guidance.

However, IANAL[0] and the information above was what I was given in 1996 or
so.

[0] I Am Not A Lawyer