[olug] The "other" raid utility usage

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Tue Apr 22 18:08:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Nick Walter wrote:

> Hmm, interesting.  Hot swapping with a hardware RAID controller is old
> news, but I've never heard of doing it with software RAID on linux.  I'd
> be scared to pull a drive out of a running array for fear of what
> bizarre conniptions the SCSI driver would have.  Did you have to use a
> special utility to deactivate the drive first?

Nope. That was the interesting part. Now bear in mind that these drives
are installed into an external drive array. But the SCSI subsystem did not
hiccup. One minor problem is that unless you probe the drive itself you
won't see the array message. But you can spin a drive down using the
sgutils below (along with a whole lot of other interesting things...)

But I figured I had better test the array so that when I do have a drive
fail I know I can swap it out without rebooting or deactivating the array
(which is kind of the point of a RAID array IMHO).

Matthew G. Marsh,  President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street
Omaha  NE  68104