[olug] KDE and dcopserver

Terence Bradshaw tbradshaw at tconl.com
Mon Apr 21 21:35:10 UTC 2003

Hi, all-

I am running Red Hat 9, and recently switched to KDE as my desktop of
choice.  I may switch back to Gnome...not yet decided.

This all happened a few days ago, so some details are murky.

I was doing some installs (WineX 3 for one) and rebooted the machine
later that evening... don't remember why.  After signing in, I issued my
startx command.  KDE began initializing, but it stopped after a while
with one of the icons in the splash screen flashing.  It then said
something about DCOPserver not running.  Reboots, including a cold boot
changed nothing (I know... reboot is a Windows technique, but I am a
Windows convert... still learning).

I then tried issuing "dcopserver" which replied with no message, so I
then decided to try startx again.  Viola, everything ran fine.

I left the machine up for several days, and decided for grins to reboot
and see what I got.  KDE started up fine without having to manually
start dcopserver.

Anyone know how dcopserver is ordinarily invoked?  Could the installs
have messed things up?  How did it get cleared up?  Did manually
starting it get some initialization setting restored?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Terry