[olug] RE: HDC: Lost Interrupt Error

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Fri Apr 18 03:34:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:

|I don't remember seeing Adam post that...?

I posted it... hidden in the olug raid meeting notes

|So where would I add hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda?  Under
|/etc/sysconfig/harddisk where USE_DMA = 1 is?

/etc/sysconfig is for redhat. you could give use the hdparm command on the
CLI or probably in one of your startup files, /etc/inittab or something

|Since I've changed that, it has had a few delays, but
|nothing like it was doing.
|
|Also, it isn't a very old hard drive, I got it in Nov
|of '01.

hrmm, kel

|thanks

|-Chris

|--- Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:
|> Perhaps youre hard drive is very old and doesnt
|> support DMA?  Adam
|> mentioned using "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" I believe.
|> Hrmm... if this seems
|> to have solved it, no errors for days, thats good to
|> know.
|>
|> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
|> CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:

|> |
|> |
|> |I generally don't give up so easily, so after not
|> |getting an my problem answer here I posted to
|> |
|> |
|> |http://www.linuxjunior.org
|> |
|> |
|> |Someone advised that I modify
|> /etc/sysconfig/harddisk
|> |and uncomment the following:
|> |
|> |USE_DMA = 1
|> |
|> |It works, but now I want to know, why?
|> |
|> |DMA, I suspect is Direct Memory Access and here are
|> |some of the comments above this line
|> |
|> |
|> |# These options are used to tune the hard drives -
|> |# read the hdparm man page for more information
|> |
|> |# Set this to 1 to enable DMA. This might cause
|> some
|> |# data corruption on certain chipset / hard drive
|> |# combinations. This is used with the "-d" option
|> |
|> |
|> |thanks
|> |
|> |
|> |
|> |

|> |
|> |

|> |
|> |
|> |It varies, sometimes right away, sometimes 5 or 10
|> |minutes later.
|> |
|> |
|> from
|> up
|> by

|> |> |

|> are
|> |
|> |
|> |Nah, I don't think it is an error with XMMS, my
|> |research on this points to two things:  Either
|> |conflict with ides or enable multi-mode for my
|> kernel,
|> |which I have never heard of before.
|> |
|> |

|> |> |

|||http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2002/02/lostinterrupt.html
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> usb-ohci
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |

|> settings

|> |
|> |Then I am stumped if you and I have the same output
|> |under /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports
|> |
|> |This is something that I can 'workaround', but I
|> |know there is a solution out there.
|> |
|> |
|> |