[olug] RE: HDC: Lost Interrupt Error

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 18:01:29 UTC 2003

Thanks Brian for the help, see my comments below.

--- Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:24:01 -0700 (PDT)
> CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> |Whenever using XMMS to play oggs/mp3s from a
> mounted
> |cdrom, XMMS will stop playing and do nothing.  I
> |cannot kill the process, or umount.  I have to
> reboot
> |to fix it.
>
> When does it the music stop/xmms die?
>Do you play
> music for awhile, then
> hours later it just stops or hangs and you can't
> kill it?

It varies, sometimes right away, sometimes 5 or 10
minutes later.

>I've had
> something like this before, after playing mp3s from
> a networked drive over
> many hours/days - it seemed like xmms would lock up
> and the system needed
> to be rebooted, again - I couldnt kill the xmms
> process.  I think it had
> something to do with tying up my sound device
> /dev/dsp or something, it
> was locked up too if I recall - or still in use by
> xmms.
>
> |Using clt+alt and F1, I get out of the GUI, get a
> |login screen, login in and get this error:
> |
> |HDC: Lost Interrupt.
>
> You get this on reboots/boot ups?  Just when you are
> playing music from
> xmms?  This doesn't seem like an error that xmms
> would spit out.

Nah, I don't think it is an error with XMMS, my
research on this points to two things:  Either
conflict with ides or enable multi-mode for my kernel,
which I have never heard of before.

> |Google the output and get this website
> |

|http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2002/02/lostinterrupt.html
> |

> |I check my /proc/interrupts
> |

> |          CPU0
> |  0:   10307351          XT-PIC  timer
> |  1:      12545          XT-PIC  keyboard
> |  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
> |  3:     123161          XT-PIC  SiS 7018 PCI
> Audio,
> |EMU10K1
> |  5:      13429          XT-PIC  eth0
> |  6:         22          XT-PIC  floppy
> |  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
> | 11:          0          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, usb-ohci
> | 12:     213315          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
> | 14:      82148          XT-PIC  ide0
> | 15:     115332          XT-PIC  ide1
> |NMI:          0
> |ERR:          1
> |

> |Looks like I have ide0 and ide1 being used...and
> ide1
> |is using IRQ15, which is right, correct?
> |

> |...and then check my /proc/ioports and get
> |

> |0000-001f : dma1
> |0020-003f : pic1
> |0040-005f : timer
> |0060-006f : keyboard
> |0070-007f : rtc
> |0080-008f : dma page reg
> |00a0-00bf : pic2
> |00c0-00df : dma2
> |00f0-00ff : fpu
> |0170-0177 : ide1
> |01f0-01f7 : ide0
> |0376-0376 : ide1
> |I have ide1 listed twice.
> |0170-0177 : ide1
> |0376-0376 : ide1
> |
> |Is this right?
>
> According to the website you listed, and my settings
> --- I imagine so, I
> have the same output as I guess those are the
> standard interrupts for
> ide1.

Then I am stumped if you and I have the same output
under /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports

This is something that I can 'workaround', but I
know there is a solution out there.

=====