[olug] Bind 9

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Apr 10 19:17:15 UTC 2003

> I've got a Bind 9 server I'm setting up on RH.  So far, the zone and
> everything looks good and works when querying from the localhost, but
> other boxes can query the server.
>
> I'm following the DNS howto as much as possible.  Anything I should know
> that's special about Bind 9?

It's pickier about zone files than BIND 8, but other than that no.

RH may have set some defaults to allow only localhost to make queries.
There may also be some sort of firewall configuration.

Look for some line that might look something like one of these in
named.conf:

allow-query { 127.0.0.1; };
allow-recursion { 127.0.0.1; };
listen-on { 127.0.0.1; };

Grepping /var/log/messages for references to named may shed light on the
situation.

Posting the options section of the config file, if you can, will help as
well.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us