[olug] two RAID arrays on install?

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Thu Apr 10 13:07:38 UTC 2003

Hello,

I am in the planning stages of building a new RedHat Linux file server
at my workplace.
The machine will have two separate RAID arrays: the first one will be 4
identical SCSI drives totaling 12Gb utilizing RAID5 and the second array
will be two identical 160Gb IDE drives utilizing RAID1.

The first array will house the core OS and system while the second array
will be used for office file storage.

I'm wondering whether or not RH 8 will allow me to initialize both
arrays during the install process or if I will have to create the RAID1
array after the install.

Also, I don't want to start a religious flame war here, but is there
some sort of "standard" partitioning scheme used when creating a system
like this? What would I call the RAID1 array? /opt, /var, /usr?

Thank you.

-- Ryan